Friday, July 23, 2010

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

I tried to pace myself - honestly I did.  But I finished this page turner at 10:00 last night.  And wouldn't you know it, the library was closed today - sad!  This being my second time through I was often frustrated when Katniss just wasn't getting it- grrrrr.  You'll be glad to know I have since forgiven her!  I absolutely love the title for this book, it captures the mood of the districts completely as well as The Hunger Games trilogy itself - if anything has caught fire this has!
First line: I clasp the flask between my hands even though the warmth from the tea has long since leached into the frozen air.
Katniss Everdeen's life can never really return to normal even though she has beat the odds and returned home victor from the Capitol's Hunger Games.  It's not just the nightmares, but the strained relationships, constant recognition, lack of privacy, and threats from the capitol.  She is a prisoner in her own body, even her own agency stripped from her - something she could still find away to live with, but then - a death sentence.  She has sparked something though.  The girl on fire has given hope to the too long oppressed people of Panem and whether she intended it or not, it is catching fire.


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails