Friday, August 13, 2010

The Virgin Blue by Tracy Chevalier


Ella Turner's life changes when she and her architect husband are transferred from California to Toulouse, France and she discovers she has a rich family history there. Her husband is always working and she feels isolated in this new and foreign life. In order to deal with her culture shock, she begins researching her family and soon becomes engrossed in a centuries-old mystery, so much that it seems to occupy every waking moment, and soon even her dreams. In the search for her family she also finds herself and nothing is as she had anticipated...

The Virgin Blue was my first Chevalier read, and let me tell you, so far it's her best in my opinion! Amazon's synopsis labels it "clunky" but I loved the structure of the story and wholeheartedly disagree. (Though I have to confess I haven't read Girl With A Pearl Earring yet.) It has all of my favorite elements-la FRANCE, romance, scandal, parallels, mystery, and maybe even a little of the supernatural...


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails